Archive for month: March, 2016
Bona Fide Sub Contractors (BFSC), Labour Only Sub Contractors (LOSC) and Employees
This is a subject that causes much confusion, probably down to just one of the words in the title – “Employees”.
Many firms use subcontractors, and never consider them as employees because they are not “cards in”, but in reality it’s not as simple as that, it’s about how contractor and sub-contractor work together, as well as responsibilities.
These are contractors who work without oversight and instruction from the principal contractor, and usually provide their own tools and materials. A workable definition is hard to come up with, but there are a number of principals which should be considered which will help decide:-
- Is there an agreed fixed price for the sub-contractor to carry out a job or task?
- Does the sub-contractor pay cost of materials and have their own hand tools?
- Can the sub-contractor bring in other contractors to help with the work, or even do all the work?
- Are they responsible for “snagging” at their own cost?
- Do they work for a variety of principals?
If the answer is to most of the above is YES, then they are probably BFSC, and should have their own Public Liability (PL) Insurance in place (as well as Employers Liability (EL) cover if they have their own employee) which should have at least the same level of cover as the principal contractor.
- Do they have to do their allocated work themselves, without the ability to contract that out to someone else?
- Are they paid a wage rather than an amount per contract?
- Do they use the principal’s hand tools?
- Do they get told how and what to do at the job by the principal contractor?
- Can the principal contractor move them from task to task as the contract requires?
If the answer to most of these questions is YES, then the worker is probably not BFSC, but a LOSC.
For the purposes of insurance LOSC’s should be treated as Employees, and have the same rights as Employees, which should include consideration for Health and Safety, training and the like. There could also be other contractual considerations, for instance holiday and sick pay, pension, workers’ rights and the like.
Employers Liability Insurance must be taken out – it’s a legal requirement – and payments to LOSCs (or numbers of LOSCs if insurance is on a “per capita” basis) should be fully disclosed.
One Millennium Gate, Westmere Drive, Crewe Business Park, Crewe, CW1 6AY
Tel – 01270 506 980
Fax – 01270 506 983
Email – email@example.com
On the 25th of May, our Senior Sales Executive, Laura Worth completed a skydive to raise funds for The Christie. Laura has managed to raise over £840 for this fantastic cause. A huge congratulations to Laura on this amazing yet slightly crazy achievement! 🛩 pic.twitter.com/wEg2…
With the heavy rain we have been experiencing within the last week or so, and more expected to return in the upcoming days, we thought we would give you some advice on how to protect your property from flooding. Please click here to read: bit.ly/2ImgL67 🌧☔️ pic.twitter.com/ns7S…
Happy Monday! We hope you all had a fantastic weekend. 😊 ❓❓Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us if you have a query about your policy or would like advice on which policy would suit you best! Send us a message and we will be more than happy to help. ❓❓ pic.twitter.com/T6QF…
Thanks to JJ Studios for providing us with a fantastic customer testimonial -@CountyLauren was pleased to help and especially save you over £400 on your renewal price. #communitybroking #shoplocal #nantwich youtu.be/Fz50XRebQCM
🎉 WE ARE HIRING! 🎉 We have a variety of exciting positions available throughout 5 of our branches. To find out more or to apply, click here: countyins.com/career… - we look forward to hearing from you! 😁 #recruitment #careers #vacancys #insurance pic.twitter.com/hlEE…
The latest from our Blog:
- Property Management: Managing your flood risk17th June 2019 - 2:09 pm
- The County Group acquires Meadons Insurance Broker5th June 2019 - 3:07 pm
- County Commercial Bulletin: Construction4th June 2019 - 11:05 am
- Promoting mental health in the workplace16th May 2019 - 10:55 am
- How Spring Cleaning Serves as a Stress Reliever17th April 2019 - 1:47 pm